Common Reasons for Data Loss and Ways to Avoid It

Frustrated businesswoman

Computers are an important part of our lives. It has made work easier and more convenient. However, even the most secure computer systems can be prone to data loss. This is why managed backup and disaster recovery measures are important, especially for business owners.

Losing precious data can be disastrous. While some individuals are able to recover at least some of these lost files, some are not as fortunate — they end up losing their data for good. That is why it is important to have a backup plan to prevent such devastating incidents.

What causes data loss?

  • First of all, you should know the common reasons for data losses and know the ways to prevent these.
  • Accidental spills – We all know that electronics and anything liquids do not mix and can lead to short-circuiting the former. In effect, your stored data inside the computer may get affected as well and even lose it eventually.
  • Sudden power outages – Most people do not realize how sudden power outages can affect the computer and all of the data inside it. For one, computers follow certain shut-down procedures to ensure its longevity and functionality in the long run. Otherwise, it can create potentially extensive damage to computer hardware and losing stored data.
  • Computer malware and viruses – The Internet has a lot of benefits but can also put your data at risk through malicious viruses and malware. Accidentally opening these can wreak havoc on your computer and losing important data as well. Viruses can be accessed when you open questionable emails and website links.
  • Hard drive failure – It is said that around 60 percent of hard drive failures are due to mechanical errors. On the other hand, the remaining 40 percent are due to the wrong usage. Among common reasons for hard drive failure include power outages, water damage, and overheating. As a result, it can lead to file and software corruption.

Tips on preventing data loss

Installing hard drive in a server rackLosing important computer data can be comparable to losing a beloved pet or a relative. But the good news is that data loss can be preventable. Here are some tips to prevent losing your precious data.

  • Remember the Golden Rule: back up – Disaster strikes when you least expect it. The same applies when you own a computer, and you have gigatons of files saved in it. Make it a habit to store important data in an off-site location so it won’t get affected in case of accidents. One example is by using Google Drive as your backup data storage location.
  • Install anti-virus to protect your computer – These are specially designed to protect your computer against viruses and malware. Also, make sure that your anti-virus is up-to-date for better security.
  • Protect your computer from sudden power outages – If you are using a laptop, make sure it is fully charged before using it. If you are using a desktop, you can buy a UPS so your computer won’t shut down immediately, give you time to save files, and shut down your computer properly.
  • Guard your computer against dust and weather – Never expose your computer to harsh weather elements such as sunlight and rain. Make it a habit to dust your computer off to prevent potential damages on its components.

It takes major responsibility to own a computer. Aside from protecting it against dust and other harsh elements, you should also make it a habit to back up your data so you won’t cry in frustration in the end.

Scroll to Top